Powiull Sleep Day 10-11 (Adopting Powiull Sleep: Different Methods)

Now that Powiull sleep has taken root and my body did decide on a (somewhat) pattern, I decided this would be a good time to layout a map of how you can adopt Powiull sleep. I am no longer waiting on time to see where this is going, time and time again the same pattern keeps popping up.

What Is the Pattern of Powiull Sleep?


My body produces the signals of going into a daydream nap, once or twice every 24 hours, with more times leaning towards twice. Almost every 12 hours (give or take several hours), a strong urge for a daydream nap occurs.

Different Methods of Adopting Powiull Sleep
In the last article, I showed a list of different sleeping patterns from people using the power of naps to gain more wake time and the pie charts that map out awake hours verse sleep hours (you can see what the Powiull pie chart would look like by clicking here).

Giving the different ways of napping, there are also different ways of adapting to each napping schedule. The way I discovered Powiull sleep is by tweaking with the polyphasic sleeping pattern. The way I tweaked with it, is by naturally taking a nap only when I felt tired (rather than a strict napping schedule). However I only started doing this teak when my naps started feeling restful (which means the adoption period was over or close to it), which was around day 3 and a half. The first time I was on polyphasic sleep, I didn't start feeling restful until day 4-5, so results will vary.

I analyzed my whole experience of polyphasic sleep and entering Powiull sleep to come up with a list of different methods of how to adopt Powiull sleep. Please be aware, that nobody up to this point has ever been on Powiull sleep and the methods listed are only theories based on analyzing data. You may have to do your own tweaking to fit your own needs.

The feeling of 'being tired' can get quite overwhelming sometimes, I have much experience with polyphasic sleep and learned how to ignore that feeling by using my full concentration on something I am passionate about. The feeling never last too long, before hitting a second wind, so ignoring it for a while does work.

Also my views and perspectives, due to the experience, gives me a unique way of looking at what sleep deprivation/feeling tired really is, therefore my experience of it is quite different to that of mainstream ideas. I feel I have not experienced the traditional signs of sleep deprivation because of my beliefs about it. The point is finding a way to get through the adaption phase. You will have to find something that works for you.

Plus you will notice while adopting polyphasic sleep (if you choose that method) that after you start feeling rested with naps, you will stop feeling tired altogether. Instead your body will give you signals on when it wants a nap. Polyphasic sleep gives you a very different perspective to everything around you (a different state of mind), you might mistake this feeling, to being tired (as it is conditioned and programmed in us to think that way). As a result, be aware that feeling different than 'normal' does not mean you're tired.

Method One
This method is following exactly what I did, in hopes to get similar results:
1. Start out as a polyphasic sleeper (click the link to found out how).

2. Sleep on a polyphasic sleeping pattern until you reach a point where you have a restful nap (or can remember a dream). From this point forward pay close attention to the next naps after your restful one. If you continue to only feel rested (or only remember dreams) then continue the polyphasic sleep pattern. However once your waking up before the alarm, AND when taking naps it feels as if you been laying there for hours (or at least much longer than 30 minutes). These two things are the key ingredients to know when to move to step three. Step three is the transition into Powiull sleep.

3. Stay up as long as you can, if you do start feeling a powerful urge to sleep before 66 hours (which is more than likely that you are not tired, you are just feeling a different state of mind), then keep your mind occupied. The ways I found that work best (while trying to adopt polyphasic sleep): do something your passionate about, take a shower, go for a walk or run, or masturbate/have sexual intercourse.

4. By now you should be tired enough to where you could sleep while sitting up for 30 minutes (if you're not then wait it out until you are). Sitting up seems to be an important factor, but not because I don't sleep deep. But because while laying down the body is designed to completely shut down, hence why people always feel tired after waking up, not because they have not had a good sleep but because the body shuts down and it takes a while to boot back up. I am not sure where the idea for monophasic sleep came from, but sleeping that long, of course you are going to want to lay down or the body would never sleep that long (which is telling).

I did try laying down recently and slept 2 and half hours instead of the regular 30 minutes that it has been sitting up, but still 2 hours is not too far off considering I didn't use an alarm clock. You can use an alarm if you wish, I would recommend it. In fact if I ever oversleep the 30 minutes while sitting up, I will start using an alarm. I have heard reports of people on polyphasic sleep that used no alarm and eventual the body progressed by to the conditioned monophasic sleep. That conditioned program has been programmed within us since we were infants, so it makes sense that the body would natural want to lead back to that unnatural way of sleeping (yes unnatural, we were all born with polyphasic sleeping patterns, sleeping and waking up around the clock).

When I did laid down, it didn't feel right. I wanted to get right back up, but the only reason I laid down in the first place was to see what effect it would have, so I forced myself to lay there. It feels much more natural to sit up while napping/sleeping.

5. At this stage my body started naturally wanting a daydream nap every 12 hours to 24 hours (but more leaning to every 12 hours, give or take several hours). You can decide from here what you rather do, either start only taking daydream naps (sitting up) every 12 hours or you can let your body decided what pattern it prefers by taking a daydream when you see it coming. The way you will know, is because you will start feeling more relaxed, your head might naturally want to lean over because the neck muscles are so relaxed. Plus your eyes will want to close or roll up inside the top of your eyelids. Sometimes the urge is stronger than others. If you notice it has not been long since your last nap then I would ignore it and wait for it to pass by using the methods in number three.

You should know that if you allow your body to decide, it may want to (and will if you let it, based on my research) revert back to monophasic sleep.

People with mainstream ways like holding a job, can even adopt to Powiull sleep while using this method because you are only on polyphasic sleep (one 30 minute nap every 4 hours), for about 3 and a half days (maybe longer depending on your mind set) before you switch over to Powiull sleep. If you get two days off in a row (all you need to do is schedule one more and a half). However if that is not possible for you, you might consider quitting your job. I know I would rather quit my job then to miss out on the tremendous positive benefits of polyphasic sleep that will change your life forever.

Method Two
This method is almost exactly like the one above, but instead, take number three out of the equation. Unless you really don't feel the need to nap, there is no reason to stay up for 66 hours like I did. I had my mind on other things almost the whole time, I had a lot that I wanted to get done and I was socializing with people online that I enjoyed their company profoundly. Therefore my focus was not on sleep, naps, time, or anything that we are programmed to be aware of. You are safe to discard this one out of the method above if you choose.

Method Three
This method is trying to adopt Powiull sleep without being on polyphasic sleep first. This method has yet to be tested for a success rate, but after analyzing data, this is my conclusion based on all factors involved.

When on polyphasic sleep, the naps don't even start feeling restful until 3-4 days (sometimes longer depending on the person or circumstances in your life). As a result, the feeling of the experience while adopting Powiull sleep verse polyphasic sleep, should not be much different. The only difference is that by taking naps, your mind might fall into the illusion that "at least I am getting some sleep", however you are not reaching the R.E.M. stage of sleep, therefore it's not considered sleep.

Polyphasic sleep is designed to force the R.E.M. stage to happen sooner. The reason for my success in Powiull sleep is because I managed to the force the R.E.M. stage sooner, then followed an automatic reprogramming (by listening to the body) that intensify the R.E.M. stage, by taking fewer naps while sitting up.

Therefore, training the body to change the R.E.M. stages and set it to the Powiull sleep pattern, by strictly following the napping pattern, until rest becomes available, seems very likely.

1. Stay up 24 hours, after the 24 hours, sit in a chair and allow yourself to dowse off (this 24 hour period is to make sure you are tired enough to dowse off while sitting up). Use an alarm and set it to 30 minutes. You might have to set a second alarm in case you sleep through the first (which is not very likely sitting up, but again that has to do with state of mind). If I were to use an alarm, I would use my cell phone as backup and I would use this free program (yes, there are other colors besides pink) as the main alarm, seems how it has a countdown timer and it easier to set (the chair I sit in to take my daydream naps is the computer chair, so it would be convenient to use such a program).

2. Your next goal is to stay up for 12 hours before napping again. While on polyphasic sleep, your only goal is to stay up for 4 hours, until the next nap (which does not matter anyhow because you don't feel restful, but most will automatically make that a goal). My suggestion is to have a reward set up for yourself and every time you make it past four hours (which shouldn't be too difficult since the second winds come quickly), treat yourself.

3. Eventually you will hit your 12 hour mark and can take a 30 minute nap.

4. Keep rewarding yourself every 4 hours to make sure you always hit your next 12 hour nap. Keep this going until the naps feel restful.

5. A few days of feeling rested after naps, your R.E.M. stage should be intensified to the point where you should be able to stay up 24 hours without a daydream nap. I have been doing this periodically especial when I lose track of time by doing something I am passionate about.

If you plan on following this method, you will have better chances with it, if you realize what sleep deprivation really is and how to avoid it.

Method Four
Let's say you only have a part-time job or perhaps you don't have the mind-set or faith in yourself to think you could put Powiull sleep to the test, but like the idea of having more time (plus all the other benefits). This method is more than likely for you.

This method has already been proven to work by independent experimenters. It's called Dymaxion Sleep, which means "maximum service". This method requires 30 minute naps every 6 hours (instead of 12 or 24 hours like Powiull sleep).

If you would like to tweak with it, given the new ideas with Powiull sleep, you can take the naps while sitting up. My guess is that you will feel more rested and alert while sitting up because you're avoiding the shut down, plus it is likely you will start feeling rested from the naps a lot sooner than most independent testers (seems how nobody has ever thought to take a nap sitting up before while adopting).

Please be aware you may become dependent upon the naps and if your life style changes, you might have difficulty changing your sleeping pattern back. After returning to monophasic sleep, it took a few days to get used to, I was still taking naps during the day.

Conclusion
Whatever method you intent on trying, if you do decide to, it would be fantastic if you could document it on a blog (you can get a free blog almost anywhere on the internet now-a-days, I would suggest http://www.blogger.com or http://wordpress.com), I am sure many people would love to read it, I know I would. I will link to your site from this site if you do. You can contact me with the link to the site.

It's best to be prepared and know what you're getting into before hand. I would suggestion you read these three articles (although not all the suggestions apply to Powiull sleep, it is helpful to know):
Polyphasic Sleep Log - Day 90 (Helpful Tips)
Polyphasic Sleep Log – Day 247 (Review: FAQ)
Powiull Sleep Day 8 (Answering More Questions)

The last thing you need to know, is that once you adopt a new sleeping pattern, there are some things that will never go back to being 'normal'. Although all these things are positive, (like no mental chatter and noisy thoughts in the background of your mind) it's still something you should not take lightheartedly.

Continue to the next sleep log: Powiull Sleep Day 12 (Update)
Return to the last sleep log: What's Powiull Sleep? (Day 9 - Changing the Course of History)
© Copyright 2014 by Conscious Flex. All Rights Reserved. Privacy/ Legal Notice | Sitemap